Sunday, March 27, 2011

Living Every Moment for God

This blog is inspired by Abraham Kuyper's famous quote delivered at the dedication of the Free University -

"There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ who is Sovereign over all, does not cry: Mine!"

The powerful idea that Jesus Christ lays claim to "every square inch" of our lives is not new but it bears reminding for us who easily forget. It may indeed be an old truth but sometimes we need new ways to think this. Recently, reading and reflecting upon Ephesians 5:15-17 helped me think of God's sovereign claim over our lives in a fresh, new way.

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is."

Time - we're called to make the best use of it an not to squander it - because days are evil. This passage reminded me that Christ lays claim, not only to every sphere of our lives but also of every moment of our existence. Every hour we spend sleeping, every minute we're awake, we are spending the currency of time - God's gift to us. Every moment of our lives either at work or at play, we ought to be pursuing God's will for our lives, lest we waste this precious gift.

To paraphrase Kuyper - "there is not a split second in all of human existence over which Christ who is Sovereign over all, does not cry: Mine!"




8 comments:

Halfmom said...

a great reminder, thank you for posting.

David Rupert said...

I "got it" when digesting the name of your blog. However, now I know the source. Great lesson

Every Square Inch said...

Halfmom, David - thx for stopping by. Just trying this week to remember and apply the lesson for my own life.

Kat said...

Sometimes I am so amazed at how our God works. I have been writing a series of posts on this very subject and the one that will be posted tomorrow is about how often we forget and that we need constant reminding of His sovereignty over our lives.

So I'm just as I get done editing the post I see a friends fb status, then read David's piece which led me here. Coincident? I think not.... more like the Holy Spirit doing His job to remind me that this lesson on becoming empty of self so He can take over requires emptying every inch.... and He means every inch. I can't have even 1.

Thank you so much for sharing, and thanks David for directing me here. May God continue to use you both for His glory!!

Every Square Inch said...

Kat - thanks for stopping by. I have found that God is ahead of us, preparing the way for the things He's called us to do.

I look forward to reading your posts so let me know when they are up.

Unknown said...

Good stuff, and glad it was featured at The High Calling. These sentiments are at the heart of what we do campus ministry through the Coalition for Christian Outreach.

David Edmisten said...

So what do you do when you're trying to use every moment for God, you're looking for Him at work, but nothing seems to be happening?

I've learned it often is a lesson in patience, but lately it seems like even with the best intentions, we're not be empowered to do more and time is slipping away.

Every Square Inch said...

Sam - thanks for your commitment to share the heart of "every square inch" through your work with CCO.

David - I hear you and the challenge you face is a common one. We live in a fallen world - we toil in a "garden" that is filled with thorns and weeds. Work can be frustrating with missed opportunities and inefficiencies, even with our best intentions and efforts. Like you, I have found that God is teaching me and shaping me even in the midst of these challenges. Often, I need to learn the lesson of faith filled contentment