Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Silence & Solitude - Two Friends in a Noisy World

In his Seattle Times article "Addicted to Noise" , Mark Driscoll, pastor of Mars Hill Church writes about the need for silence and solitude in a noisy world enabled by BlackBerrys, mobile phones and iPods. He identifies how the "false trinity of our day - the gods known as Hurry, Worry and Noisy" are actively destroying our souls.

I love technology but I think he's on to something. Notwithstanding the unfortunate use of the word "addicted", the need to quiet our souls before God is more than simply helpful, it's vital. The daily practice of reminding ourselves in the midst of our self important lives that "He is God and we are not" is an essential discipline of the Christian life. The antidote to this problem? Self imposed silence and solitude...that means turning off theTV, tuning out the iPod, shutting down email and spending time quiet before God.

I think I'm going to try this.

2 comments:

Meng said...

You're right its really difficult. As I think about the number of times i check my mail even at home and turn on the lap top...it may borderline on addiction! Even as I type this on my laptop, the TV is on. Going to the beach tommorrow for 4 days and was just wondering if I should bring the computer. I think I'm going to try to get a gadget fast. I already feel nervous thinking of 4 days without communication.

Meng said...

Thanks for the encouragement Ittai... I did leave my computer at home and I did not die!!?
Had great moments alone with God and a walk on the beach with my wife. They had internet connection in the room, but was glad to learn that it was not free!!!:>