Sunday, June 18, 2006

Celebrating Father's Day by Remembering Our Sonship

It's Father's Day and I'm once again aware of what a blessing it is to be a father - it's simply one of my greatest joys to have the privilege of raising, training and loving my children and preparing them for eternity.

Yet, Scripture reminds me that this impulse for my children originates as God's work in and through me. In my sinful nature, I am chiefly concerned for my own good and not the good of others, even my children. However, God's gracious intervention in my life - the atoning sacrifice of his son and my adoption into his family - enables me to live out this wonderful calling as a father.

Romans 8:15-16

"For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children."

Simply put, my rejoicing in being a father is rooted in my gladness in being his son.

No comments: