Monday, October 27, 2008

The Power of Words - A Story on James 3

This is a powerful video from Desiring God Ministries, highlighting the power of our words.

We can often take the words we speak so lightly, not being aware of how they affect others. James 3 speaks to this -

"For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water."

James 3:7-12

I found this video very helpful in making that point. Share your reaction with us.

5 comments:

Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

I pretty much feel like I've been socked in the gut and would like to vomit - how's that for an honest and heart-felt response. I'm afraid it's a lot like the way I grew up.

Every Square Inch said...

Susan - I think we've all experienced the kind of scenario depicted in the video. Sadly, I saw myself in the video as well. How often my words are impatient, unkind.

What I like about the video is the way it "pulls back the curtain" on how many fine, upstanding Christian families live. When it comes to our words, we're sometimes not distinguishable from non-Christians

Ted M. Gossard said...

I like where James says that those who don't keep a tight rein on the tongue deceive themselves and their religion/Christianity is worthless. This is why I've learned, and am doing much better at simply keeping my mouth shut and if speaking, trying to measure each word better, as well as my manner of speaking.

Yes, we've all been there too many times. But God wants to change us and can, since Scripture is true- of course.

Good video.

Ted M. Gossard said...

I may have grown alot, and I have. But I haven't arrived of course, nor can I ever just coast along. Knowing how far yet I have to go makes me realize just how important it can be for me to keep a tight rein on my tongue.

Just wanted to add that.

Every Square Inch said...

Ted - having our tongues be instruments of grace rather than corruption is so challenging, isn't it. Sometimes it does feel better to just not say anything